By Dr. Elaine Rancatore
Soup is a wonderful meal because its volume provides a feeling of satiety without over-eating. This recipe, which we found on Treehugger.com, has so many things going for it besides the obvious deliciousness:
- -Lentils are a low-fat source of protein and high in iron.
- -Thyme and Kale have Vitamin C, which is needed for absorption of the plant-form of iron.
- -Kale is also a source of calcium, iron and carotenes.
- -Carrots have the ever-popular beta-carotene.
- -Garlic and Onions, from the allium family, help regulate blood sugar and promote cancer cell death.
Lentil Soup (by Kelly Rossiter)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 carrot, sliced
2 potatoes, cubed
3 or 4 mushrooms, sliced
3 cups vegetable stock
3 or 4 kale leaves, roughly chopped
1 cup cooked lentils
salt and pepper to taste
Read the recipe at Treehugger.com
Photo Credit: Kelly Rossiter/CC BY 2.0